Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bye Bye Paci.

This my friends has been long overdue. My boy is 3.75 years old and still very much in love [need] of his beloved paci (ahem, no judgements please). We have been talking about getting rid of the pacifier for quite some time. Actually, I had originally planned on getting rid of it by his 2nd birthday- he was attached but I thought we'd get rid of it before it was too traumatic and before baby brother came along. Well, we decided we were moving and I thought that getting rid of the paci before a big move probably wasn't the best idea. We moved, but then we were adjusting, 2 shorts weeks after moving from VA to NY baby brother came- more adjustments. More adjustments and guilt and of course the attachment and seeming need for it became more pronounced.
Some where along the way we got down to only using the pacifier for sleeping times- this wasn't too terrible of an adjustment but I must admit very convinient. One thing after another has come up that has convinced Rob and I that we would just wait a little longer- I mean who really wants to sit with a screaming kid on a plane or in a car on the way for vacation?? Not I. That's ok if you think i'm selfish.
Well here we are. Over a year later and after talking to Braden on several occassions over the past months, reading books, discussing it some more- he willing said that he would give up his paci's for the baby (my sister is due have her baby in several weeks). He had originally mentioned it yesterday but then decided he needed it one last time. Honestly I had no intentions of pushing it, the thought of him crying through naps and bedtime made/makes me anxious. But he mentioned it again this morning and I decided to go with it. We decorated an envelope, put his paci's in, and delievered them to my sister's house for the baby. We headed to ToysRus where we strolled every aisle until he decided on which toy he wanted. Everyone's still ok, everyone's still happy.
Fast forward to nap time. Alot of hysterical crying. He needed it one last time, again. He was scared. It lasted 45 min but alas there is silence. I believe we have made it through our very first paciLESS nap. While this is a success, I can only imagine that I will be up all night with a very sad boy wanting his paci. I can only pray i'll have good news.





No comments:

Post a Comment